At the end of last year, Cecile and Bea announced the theme for their annual QAL and for 2019 it’s “Flowers”. I REALLY wanted to participate in this one and my brain went into overdrive almost instantly.
With an idea in mind, I trawled Pinterest saving those pictures that fitted my ideas. Then armed with what I’d seen I set about drawing 8 applique blocks; the QAL calls for a minimum 16 blocks so I figured I could make two of each block over the two months allocated for block making.
Fabric were my next step and I decided on thesetheseand these, with ric-rac for stemsI had decided I wanted a “Mid-Century-Modern Flowers” quilt and that I’d turn convention on its head and use coloured backgrounds and black/white/grey fabrics for the applique, then thought I’d put in the occasional splash of colour in a flower.
There’s something magical about getting an idea, putting it on paper, prepping the applique pieces, and then seeing it come to life in fabric and stitching.There will be some embroidery on the flowers which will happen with these gorgeous Aurifil embroidery threads that I’ve matched to the coloured backgrounds (not the best pic – sorry)So here are my blocks for January. I must confess that there are a couple that still need to be appliqued (sorry Cecile and Bea – ran out of time!)and I’m still deciding on the embroidery. I have the sections I’d like to embroidery marked out on my drawings, I just need to decide on the type of stitching I use.
And I think I’ve come up with a plan for how the whole quilt will look…..!